Replies

• I'm fully depigmented. I was diagnosed at four and have never done any treatments.  For a long time I felt incredibly self-conscious about it and the turning point for me was when MJ died. There was a lot said in the media about his depigmented appearance, all of it being negative and for weeks after that it opened up a lot of old wounds. I think that the media felt that anything they negatively about MJ wasn't going to directly affect him but they didn't take into consideration others that are going through the same thing/something similar. 

My original skin color was similar to Jessica Alba's so my spots stood out, even more so in the summer when my skin would tan. Now, that I've lost all my pigment, people think that this is my natural skin color.  Because I've lost all pigment, I have to wear hats when I go out (no pigment on my scalp) and when people would say something about my hat, I assumed they were making fun of me. Same thing with when people mention that I'm so pale.  It took some time but with therapy I see my skin now as beautiful.  I love wearing hats, they look good on me. I don't feel like this all the time, there are moments where I wish I had normal skin color. For the most part, I've come to embrace how I look.

I enclosed pictures of my skin now, the first one was taken two years ago and the 2nd was taken last year when I met Ashley Greene. My hair looks horrible there because I had just removed my hat, naturally. 

me.jpg

ag.jpg

• you look awesome.  no one can tell.  other than being careful with the sun what precautions do you have to take?  can you go out without sunscreen?  do you live in warm climate area?  did your hair turn white?

• There are people (some here on VF, in fact) that have lost all of their pigment over time.  You can also have a dermatologist prescribe medications that would depigment all of your skin permanently.

• Yes, it took about 10 years to lose all my pigment. I was a "paper sack brown" person with very smooth skin when the white spots appeared on one hand and both ears at the age of 48. It was quite a few years before the white spots began to spread to my face. I've gone from 5 dermablend to 1 dermablend. I'm now 64 and  spend a lot of time on makeup especially since I started to repigment on my face and neck in the last 2 years.

• I guess, repigmentation would be a problem then!

This reply was deleted.